Shannon Medical Center Collection
West Texas Collection
MetadataShow full item record
The Shannon West Texas Memorial Hospital began in 1923 under the direction of Dr. H. R. Rush and Dr. W. F. Chambers in the Findlater House and included a nursing school. In 1931, Margaret A. Shannon, widow of wealthy rancher and philanthropist John Moore Shannon, left over two million dollars to a trust for the creation, maintenance, and support of a non-profit hospital. This trust, led by Dr. J. S. Hixon, purchased the San Angelo Hospital in 1932 and changed the name to Shannon West Texas Memorial Hospital. The nursing school continued in Shannon West Texas Memorial Hospital up until the 1968 when it was transferred to Angelo State University. In 1987, Shannon West Texas Memorial Hospital was renamed Shannon Medical Center. The Shannon Medical Center includes 17 boxes, 24 yearbooks, 1 reference book, 9 binders/booklets, 10 ledgers, 8 scrapbooks, and 24 framed items and approximately 1800 physical photographs, 800 digital photographs, and several videos (on VHS tapes, DVDs, and a USB flash drive).
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
West Texas Collection (2015-02-03)The collection of historical data and materials was spearheaded by Ann Clark during her 12 years (starting in 1976) as District Historian for the Southwest Texas Conference of the United Methodist Church. The collection ...
West Texas Collection (2015-02-10)Dr. and Mrs. Thompson donated a book on the oil and gas industry which was placed in Closed Stacks. In addition, the collection contains a scrapbook kept by Mrs. Thompson’s mother and containing information on old homes ...
West Texas Collection (2014-01-25)Agnes Rust Gordon Smith, 1905-1988, was the owner-operator of the 3R Ranch in San Angelo as well as very active in civic affairs and the preservation of Texas History. Smith helped restore Fort Concho and helped organized ...